[wix-users] MS-RL License for existing dialogs

Michael Behrisch oss at behrisch.de
Mon Mar 7 01:11:28 PST 2022

Hi Bevan,

Am 06.03.22 um 11:10 schrieb Bevan Weiss:
> I think it would be very difficult to get all past contributors to the WiX files to sign over to an alternative license.

I understand that, we did that some years ago. But the number of
contributions to those files seems rather small
https://github.com/wixtoolset/wix3/commits/develop/src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/InstallDirDlg.wxs
and apparently it was once available under a different license:
https://github.com/AnalogJ/Wix3.6Toolset/blob/master/RC0-source/wix36-sources/src/ext/UIExtension/wixlib/InstallDirDlg.wxs
so I thought you can maybe manage another change.

> I'm also unsure why you'd need to, given you already use the Eclipse Public License. My understanding is the two licences are very similar, if you are providing your product in object format, you must make the source available upon request, and you must include derivative works in that source code.

Yes, I thought so too. But the point is not so much in the license
itself but it allows to license the code under GPL as well (an option
our users are using actively) so we strive to be compatible here too.
(Furthermore I thought it might be beneficial for WiX as a whole to be
easily usable for everyone.)

Best regards,
Michael