[wix-users] Custom actions, progress bar

Nir Bar nir.bar at panel-sw.com
Mon Apr 12 06:21:34 PDT 2021

The link you found is actually a good place to start

Assuming the custom action is a DLL function, you need to call MsiProcessMessage once in an immediate CA to predict the number of ticks to add to the progress bar.

Then in the deferred CA call MsiProcessMessage to report progress advance

See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/msiquery/nf-msiquery-msiprocessmessage for parameter details when calling MsiProcessMessage

--

Nir Bar

WiX Expert

---- On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:43:16 +0300 Alon Dean via wix-users <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org> wrote ----

Hi,
I've created an installer which does most of the 'heavy lifting' in
deferred custom actions.
I know this is bad practice, but it is the best I could find given what I
was asked to do in my work place.
I didn't specify any UI elements or sequence.
The problem is that the progress bar doesn't progress as expected. I guess
this is due to the long operations by the custom actions, so, how can I fix
this?
It sounds like there should be an attribute to the custom actions which
'tell' msiexec how this custom action should affect the progress of the
installation, but I couldn't find anything like that.

Most of my searches kept on leading me to this link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/adding-custom-actions-to-the-progressbar?redirectedfrom=MSDN

But I couldn't figure out how this helps me.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks