[wix-users] Custom actions, progress bar

Alon Dean alondean at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 05:43:16 PDT 2021

Hi,
I've created an installer which does most of the 'heavy lifting' in
deferred custom actions.
I know this is bad practice, but it is the best I could find given what I
was asked to do in my work place.
I didn't specify any UI elements or sequence.
The problem is that the progress bar doesn't progress as expected. I guess
this is due to the long operations by the custom actions, so, how can I fix
this?
It sounds like there should be an attribute to the custom actions which
'tell' msiexec how this custom action should affect the progress of the
installation, but I couldn't find anything like that.

Most of my searches kept on leading me to this link:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/adding-custom-actions-to-the-progressbar?redirectedfrom=MSDN

But I couldn't figure out how this helps me.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thanks