[wix-users] Media Id and Cabinet question for patch.wxs

Bevan Weiss bevan.weiss at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:35:16 PDT 2020

Mediaid 'could' have been 1, for all files in the original installer (if the total cab file size would have stayed under 4GB, or otherwise suitable for your filesystems, and I think there may be a per-cab file number limit too)

I believe the mediaid needs to increment for every patch however, to ensure source file location uniqueness.

I still think this is far too many files for a single installer. Is this really all for a single 'application'? Or is it a collection of applications that you could have used a bootstrapper and had each application self contained in it's own MSI?

Bevan