[wix-users] public property going missing - why?

Alan Sinclair anadem at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:35:08 PDT 2020

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. A public property set by register
search is not being propagated, so a custom action dependent on it isn't
running.

        <Property Id="INNOINSTALLED">
            <RegistrySearch Id="InnoSetupPresent"
                Root="HKCU"
Key="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Workspot_is1"
                Name="UninstallString"
                Win64='$(var.V_WIN64)' Type="raw" />
        </Property>

results in the INNOINSTALLED property being set, and working properly in a
LaunchCondition added as a test (this LaunchCondition is removed for actual
install, I just wanted to try if the property worked in it)

        <Condition Message="The InnoSetup-installed product is present.">
            <![CDATA[INNOINSTALLED]]>
        </Condition>

but the INNOINSTALLED property is not conditioning the custom action which
is supposed to run when the property is set:

            <Custom Action="UpgradeBackupFolder"  After="myStopService" >
INNOINSTALLED </Custom>

The INNOINSTALLED property is not even getting written to the verbose log
even though the launch condition finds it. I'm at my wit's end .. surely
this is installer 101 stuff! What am I missing?

thanks
Alan