[wix-users] public property going missing - why?

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Thu Aug 6 15:48:45 PDT 2020

Property/@Secure='yes'?

---
Short replies here. Complete answers here: https://www.firegiant.com/services/

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Alan Sinclair via wix-users
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2020 3:35 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Alan Sinclair <anadem at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] public property going missing - why?

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. A public property set by register search is not being propagated, so a custom action dependent on it isn't running.

        <Property Id="INNOINSTALLED">
            <RegistrySearch Id="InnoSetupPresent"
                Root="HKCU"
Key="Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Workspot_is1"
                Name="UninstallString"
                Win64='$(var.V_WIN64)' Type="raw" />
        </Property>

results in the INNOINSTALLED property being set, and working properly in a LaunchCondition added as a test (this LaunchCondition is removed for actual install, I just wanted to try if the property worked in it)

        <Condition Message="The InnoSetup-installed product is present.">
            <![CDATA[INNOINSTALLED]]>
        </Condition>

but the INNOINSTALLED property is not conditioning the custom action which is supposed to run when the property is set:

            <Custom Action="UpgradeBackupFolder"  After="myStopService" > INNOINSTALLED </Custom>

The INNOINSTALLED property is not even getting written to the verbose log even though the launch condition finds it. I'm at my wit's end .. surely this is installer 101 stuff! What am I missing?

thanks
Alan