[wix-users] Wix Toolset - Can we add a new Feature in a wix msp patch (using a small update)

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Jan 23 04:06:59 PST 2019

I'm of the belief that 99.9% of projects are best suited with Major Upgrades and that Minor Upgrades / Patching are for those that really really need it and those people must become absolute experts in it.   I only know enough to get basic patch sequences done and don't desire to go beyond that to be honest.

That said, I think this will help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Msi/changing-the-product-code

"Note that adding a new child feature, consisting entirely of new components, to an existing feature does not require changing the product code.

New child features can be authored by including msidbFeatureAttributesFollowParent and msidbFeatureAttributesUIDisallowAbsent in the Attributes field of the Feature table<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/Msi/feature-table>. If the minor upgrade only adds new child features, then REINSTALL=ALL is sufficient to force the installation of the new child features."

Combine that with the fact that the WiX PatchFamily element has the FeatureRef  as possible child element and I'd say it's likely possible to do what you want.