[wix-users] Incorrect messages about installer standard actions progress on Windows 10 (1703 build)

Dzmitry Razhanski Dzmitry_Razhanski at epam.com
Wed Sep 27 04:15:46 PDT 2017

Hello Everybody,

I have met the problem with my installer on the latest Windows 10 build (1703).
The Installation dialog shows messages like "Starting services Service: [1]" above progress. Similar numbers appear for all standard actions.
On the previous Windows builds it was simply "Starting services".

In the installation logs I also noticed these messages which didn't present on the previous Windows builds:
Action 18:22:46: StartServices. Starting services Service: [1]

According to MSDN action StartServices (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372026%28v=vs.85%29.aspx)
[1] should be the service displayed name. But this wasn't replaced.

I have used WixToolset 3.10 and MS Visual Studio 2015 to build .msi package. Upgrade to WixToolset 3.11 didn't solve the problem too.

Does anybody know how could I return the old format for the messages? Or how could I make [1] param to be replaced with reasonable value?
Does it the bug for Wix Toolset to be fixed?

Best regards,
           Dzmitry Razhansky.