[wix-users] Wix 3.11 + VS2017 Extension Installation Problem

Garber, Neal Neal.Garber at avangrid.com
Tue Sep 26 10:00:57 PDT 2017

I'm running Win7 SP1, VS2017 Enterprise 15.3.5, Wix ToolSet 3.11.0.1701 and I installed the Wix 2017 Extension. Existing WiX projects with a .wixproj file won't open (I get an unsupported message) and WiX project templates aren't listed in the new project dialog. I've tried reinstalling WiX toolset and the extension and VS itself (after a InstallCleanup -full) and the problem remains. I've checked the logs and it says the Wix extension was installed successfully and I see the .vstman/.vstemplate files in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Enterprise\Common7\IDE\Extensions\tu244cwx.sod\ProjectTemplates directory/subdirectories.

I loaded the privateregistry.bin hidden hive on a working and broken VS2017 installation and searched for wix. I found that the working installation has many keys that the broken installation does not, including: "\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_c8f40ef5_Config\NewProjectTemplates\TemplateDirs{e0ee8e7d-f498-459e-9e90-2b3d73124ad5}\/1". The TemplatesDir REG_SZ value in this key defines the location of the project templates dir. for the Wix Toolset.  I reviewed the log files in %TEMP% and both indicate the extension was successfully installed.  This is only failing on one PC where I had to reinstall VS 2017 after a failed upgrade from 15.3.4 to 15.3.5.  I'm not sure this is a Wix issue, but other extensions I've installed do have their project templates listed.  I'm happy to provide additional information and would appreciate any suggestions you have for additional troubleshooting or potential solutions.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender and immediately delete this message and any attachment hereto and/or copy hereof, as such message contains confidential information intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. The use or disclosure of such information to third parties is prohibited by law and may give rise to civil or criminal liability.

The views presented in this message are solely those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Avangrid Networks, Inc. or any company of its group. Neither Avangrid Networks, Inc. nor any company of its group guarantees the integrity, security or proper receipt of this message. Likewise, neither Avangrid Networks, Inc. nor any company of its group accepts any liability whatsoever for any possible damages arising from, or in connection with, data interception, software viruses or manipulation by third parties.