[wix-users] question about suppresssignatureverification and verifyhash

Phill Hogland phill.hogland at rimage.com
Tue Sep 22 05:56:18 PDT 2015

IIRC there were problems with the behavior in 3.7 or 3.8 and in 3.9 there was a change to make SuppressSignatureVerification default to 'Yes'.  So the current (3.10) chm says:
By default, a Bundle will use the hash of a package to verify its contents. If this attribute is explicitly set to "no" and the package is signed with an Authenticode signature the Bundle will verify the contents of the package using the signature instead. Therefore, the default for this attribute could be considered to be "yes". It is unusual for "yes" to be the default of an attribute. In this case, the default was changed in WiX v3.9 after experiencing real world issues with Windows verifying Authenticode signatures. Since the Authenticode signatures are no more secure than hashing the packages directly, the default was changed.