[wix-devs] WiX toolset v4.0: Build Exp

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Wed May 18 09:27:35 PDT 2022

> What should I do to solve the remaining errors about code-style after using build.cmd?

The WiX Toolset is a very large and much of it was written on .NET Framework v1.0 before the modern style systems were in place. In fact, several of the common styles today were the opposite way back when with early StyleCop.

In the past year or so, .editorconfig has advanced to the point where we can probably encode the full WiX style guide (at least for managed code). We've done a little bit in WiX v4 to test those waters and guide new code. But there is a significant amount of old (untouched in v4) code where you will see plenty of style errors.

My recommendation is as a new participant in the WiX Toolset to filter out the style errors for now and to not create more of them. There will be a time to ensure .editorconfig is perfect and sweep the code. But that day is not today and it is not in v4.

If you are writing new code and have questions about what the correct style to use is, feel free to ask. I know that transition times can lead to confusion.