[wix-devs] Issue 5371

Ron Martin cpuwzd at comcast.net
Sat May 21 16:45:34 PDT 2022

Sean,

After a few false starts, I'm finally where I hoped to be a month ago. I
haven't
done much with VM's is the past. In particular, I've never set one up.
The licensing
always seemed heavy handed. One place I worked as a contractor, VM's
were heavily
used. I know that the company did not pay for licenses for the VM's they
ran. They
just reinstalled the operating systems when the grace periods ran out.

I'll check out the burn tests to see if I understand them and how to set
up the
required environments. What assumptions does Wix make about the pre-
existence of a VM during a build or when the special tests are run? I
see the output
from some end-to-end tests when I build. Are these tests using a VM?

Creating msi files during the Wix build and keeping them around for later
manually initiated tests to be run in a VM environment seems straightforward
as long as there is a plan for where to put these files. Are your
end-to-end tests
built in C++ or C#?

In the direct tests, would you probe the msi database using the msi API
or would
you use instrumented net user commands? I suspect that parsing the output of
a net user command is more trouble than it's worth.

I'll consider porting some or all of the other v3 end-to-end tests when
I figure out
how hard it will be.

Thanks for you help, Sean.

Ron