[wix-devs] WiX 4.0 Progress Report

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Sat Jan 5 14:25:54 PST 2019

I wish we were at the point that I could essentially countdown the issues for WiX v4 release.

I do need write a summary of WiX v4 since the goalposts have moved quite a bit since the last time I blogged about it.

Bob will scoff at any timeline I put out since much of WiX v4's progress is dependent on our load at FireGiant. The more FireGiant customers that ask for WiX v4, the more resources we put towards accelerating its completion.

At this point, I think an "early adopter preview" is likely in the next 6 months. Feedback will then tell us how far we are from production status.

Major version transitions are extremely challenging. WiX v2 to v3 felt exactly the same. Users want us to focus on maintaining v3 but to move the WiX Toolset forward we need to focus on v4.

In a few months, I expect (maybe it's simply hope) details are regularly shared here how to test private builds of WiX v4.

At the same time, the answer to WIX v3 questions will regularly be, "No, it is or will be addressed in v4."

(I will eventually turn this into a blog post, but all of my nonessential tasks are currently postponed to after mid-February)