[wix-users] Creating a stub to download an MSI which changes more frequently

Edwin Young the.edwin.young at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 20:25:37 PST 2023

Hello,

I would like to build a small bundle using burn which downloads a larger
main package from a URL. This already works well! But I would also like to
be able to update the main package without refreshing the bundle - that is,
replace the package on the web endpoint with a newer one without releasing
an update to the bundle.

Today this doesn't appear to be possible because the bundle contains a hash
of the package to download. To make it possible, I would have to modify the
bundle code to just check the package signature and not the hash.

My questions:
1) Is there a fundamental problem with this approach?
2) If I make a pull request to introduce a 'check signature only' option,
is that something that might be of use or is it not something that would be
considered (perhaps because of #1)?

Thanks,
Edwin