[wix-users] Why MSI installer quarries registry for all installed certificates?

Vladimir A Terentyev Vladimir.Terentyev at b1.ru
Mon Sep 26 03:50:36 PDT 2022

I had a problem with my msi installer on a client. Kaspersky has blocked it, because MSI was accessing protected registry paths in

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\
These Registry paths are considered to be protected from being accessed, so that Kaspersky blocks any app, that accesses them by default. I rechecked installation process in Process Monitor and msiexec really quarries these values for every certificate in system (in HKLM and HKCU):

Screenshot of my Process Monitor<https://snipboard.io/j12EMA.jpg>

So, I have several questions:
Why does msi accesses these registry paths? And are there any docs, which contain information about msi certificate quarry?

MSI was created with Wix Toolset 3.6

MSI is digitally signed with certificate, which was signed by Global sign.

I did not add any logic of registry quarry in my MSI. so that I don`t understand, why this happens.

Msiexec log does not contain any information about registry quarries for certificates.

P.S.

I also checked on msi of Epic Games Store: it turns out, it also quarries these registry paths, so I guess it is really standart msi behavior, but I still need some docs that confirm that.