[wix-users] Error using WiX within Crossover

Greg Olone Greg.Olone at cellebrite.com
Fri May 13 14:31:47 PDT 2022

To avoid having to move the 2GB of build files from our macOS build machine to a dedicated Windows machine, we have been using Codeweaver’s Crossover to run our installs. Everything is fine until we started using extensions, at which time we started getting the following error:

Generating database.

light.exe : error LGHT0216 : An unexpected Win32 exception with error code 0x2 occurred: File not found.

I recompiled light.exe and wix.dll to add the name of the file and we now get this:

Generating database.

light.exe : error LGHT0216 : An unexpected Win32 exception with error code 0x2 occurred while accessing file 'C:\WIXTMP\

xl70erx0\#cab1.cab': File not found.

We redirect all of the temp file creation into C:\WIXTMP.

Running this command on a “real” Windows machine makes the process work, so I’m wondering if any of you have run into this error before that you might know what’s going on. The file is indeed not in that location, although cab files have been created for each of the extensions that we are using (WixUtilExtension and WixUIExtension)

My initial thought was that the # at the beginning of the filename was causing a problem (and I was disappointed to discover that the source has string literals of “#” all over the place instead of a constant)

Thank you,

Greg
This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you may not disclose, copy, distribute or retain any part of this message or attachments. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately [by clicking 'Reply'] and delete this e-mail.