[wix-users] Need Advise on Upgrade

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 03:37:47 PST 2022

We have existing Bootstrapper installers (exe) which bundle Prerequisites
and custom MSIs. These MSIs handle a lot of functionality like Files,
Windows Service Management, IIS Management, Database management etc. Now,
we are planning to break these Bootstrapper installers and separate out
functionality. But there are many customers who have these bootstrappers
installed. Now, when we try to upgrade their system with the separate MSIs,
will it work?

Bootstrapper has it's own Product & Upgrade code and so also the MSIs.
Also, for majority of the components, the Guid is auto generated. So, on
systems which are installed with the bootstrapper, can I upgrade them with
the separate MSIs? I tried once and observed that the files installed by
bootstrapper seem to be getting removed. Please advise.