[wix-users] uninstall fails after removing installer EXE at its original path

Gubanov, Oleg (INT) Oleg.Gubanov at Teledyne.com
Fri Feb 11 11:37:37 PST 2022

Hi Sean,

I see your point now.
I was not aware that ExePackages are stripped off from the bundle upon caching,
so I made a wrong assumption that the ExePackage must be still inside A.exe.
Thank you for clarifying this!

I have everything I need to continue with troubleshooting.
Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Oleg.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Sean Hall via wix-users
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2022 12:17 PM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Sean Hall <r.sean.hall at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] uninstall fails after removing installer EXE at its original path

---Courriel Externe // External Email---

> So, the ExePackage is in the cache, but it is cached inside A.exe
> rather
than as a standalone executable.

No, those are two separate things. As I pointed out in the log, the ExePackage is not present in the cache.

"A.exe" is your bundle, and at build time has an attached container with the ExePackage inside of it. When the bundle caches itself, that attached container is stripped out in order to save disk space. At this time, there is no way to get the bundle to cache the full bundle in the package cache.
You need to figure out why the ExePackage is not staying cached.