[wix-users] Azure DevOps support for MSBuild 14 (Heat)

Ian West iwest at breastscreen.org.au
Sun Feb 20 18:41:54 PST 2022

Currently, our inhouse app is tied to Wix 3.11.2, and uses Heat to harvest installation artefacts.  Building on-premise works okay, but it fails online as Azure DevOps pipelines, which are meant to support Wix, fail as MSBuild 14.0 cannot be found.

Is anyone aware of how to configure Azure DevOps to install MSBuild 14.0, so that Heat's dependencies will work correctly?  I have tried chocolatey, direct downloads etc. but cannot find a solution.  Surely I'm not the only person using Heat to harvest in an Azure Pipeline?

HarvestProjects:
  D:\a\1\s\Centre\Installer\packages\WiX.3.11.2\build\..\tools\Heat.exe project D:\a\1\s\Centre\BookingsServices\BookingsServices\BookingsServices.csproj -configuration Release -directoryid INSTALLLOCATION -platform AnyCPU -pog Binaries -pog Symbols -pog Sources -pog Content -pog Satellites -pog Documents -projectname BookingsServices -ag -sfrag -out obj\Release\_BookingsServices.wxs
##[error]heat.exe(0,0): Error HEAT5316: Failed to load MSBuild wrapper object: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
heat.exe : error HEAT5316: Failed to load MSBuild wrapper object: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Build, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. [D:\a\1\s\Centre\Installer\BookingsServicesInstaller\BookingsServicesInstaller.wixproj]
Done Building Project "D:\a\1\s\Centre

Alternatively, must I manually specific the results of the harvest in the .wixproj file, instead of using Heat?

Thanks,

Ian