[wix-users] DotNet 5x detection

Mike Henseler m.henseler at simfront.com
Fri Feb 11 09:04:38 PST 2022

Currently WIX does not have a check for NETFRAMEWORK50 or does it?

Looking at the wix source code, it appears you do not actually parse the version number pulled from registry, you only use the existence of the key as detection. Correct me if I am wrong.
Example:
     <Property Id="NETFRAMEWORK45" Secure="yes">
      <RegistrySearch Id="NetFramework45" Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\Full" Name="Release" Type="raw" />
    </Property>

Currently I have written  a CA to get version from this key but have to parse the version info and cannot use only the existence of this key as a positive detection.
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\hostfxr\Version"

Is there a better cleaner way to detect DotNet 5?

What is the plan for future WIX detection of .net 5x?

thnks