[wix-users] Better way to install IIS features than DISM

Bevan Weiss bevan.weiss at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 16:08:09 PST 2021

Hi all,
I've currently got an installer which has been working well for a number of
years, it was a bit kludged together at the time, but hasn't been
responsible for any fires, so it's survived reasonably untouched.

It is however using DISM for IIS installation / configuration under Windows
Server (both WS2012R2 and WS2019 have been targeted so far). Currently this
ends up looking like a couple of calls to the PlatformQuietExec
CustomAction with commands like '"$(var.DISM)" /online
/enable-feature /FeatureName:IIS-StaticContent .... /All'
This is working fine, however two of these commands are longer than they
should be and generate ICE03 warnings.  They still appear to work, but
ultimately it means that I'm not really doing things the right way.  And if
I'm going to change it, then I should just do it the right way.

I've done some googling, and there's a number of variations, but they do
seem to all come back to just calling DISM.  Is there a better way that I'm
missing?

Regards,
Bevan Weiss