[wix-users] Per User Installs and ICE Errors

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Jun 17 10:05:39 PDT 2020

Can you start your own thread please?

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Rick Papo via wix-users
Sent: Wednesday, June 17, 2020 10:14 AM
To: 'WiX Toolset Users Mailing List' <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: rpapo at comcast.net
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Per User Installs and ICE Errors

I am building a WiX BA to install an older product which requires the presence of .NET 3.5, and have gotten to the part where I make sure .NET 3.5 is installed, and if not, install it as part of the bootstrapper bundle.

Ignoring the bulk of the script, there are two parts that matter here.  The first is to detect whether or not .NET 3.5 is already installed:

    <!--check if .NET Framework 3.5 is installed-->
    <Variable Name="Netfx35Version" Type="numeric" bal:Overridable="yes"
Value="0"/>
    <util:RegistrySearch Root="HKLM" Key="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Net Framework Setup\NDP\v3.5" Value="Version" Variable="Netfx35Version" Result="exists" />

This works.  I am aware of the NETFRAMEWORK35 variable, but have not been able to get it to cooperate with me.

The second part is in the CHAIN section:

      <!-- .NET 3.5 -->
      <ExePackage Id="NetFX35Enable"
        DisplayName="Enabling .NET 3.5."
        SourceFile="c:\Windows\System32\Dism.exe"
        InstallCondition='NOT Netfx35Version'
        InstallCommand="/Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFx3"
        PerMachine="yes"
        Permanent="yes"
        Compressed="yes"
        Cache="always"
      />

There are two problems here.  The first is, why am I not using [SYSTEM64FOLDER]?  Because the WiX compiler can't find the definition.

The second problem is that when I actually try to run this, DISM.exe dies with error code 0xB, which from bits and pieces I find on the internet means that it wants to run in the system folder, and since we have no control over the working directory in EXEPACKAGE, that option is out.

Has somebody found a better solution to this problem?

--Rick Papo