[wix-users] [Question] Using Wix to pack a MSI file using exe file that depends of a folder

João Gaspar joao.f.r.gaspar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 03:18:33 PDT 2020

Hi,
I'm giving the first steps with Wix Toolset and I need some help to create
MSI installer.

I'm using a GIS open source Desktop (QGIS) that have a network installer
option that can point to a remote URL with the dependencies packages to
install or point to a local folder where these packages are already
downloaded.

The idea is to create a standard installation based on specific packages to
distribute to in different computers based on the same packages and .exe.
So the idea is to use WiX to pack the .exe and the folder with the packages
inside an MSI file.

The procedure that I have in mind (and I don't know if is possible) is to
prepare Wix configuration to run the .exe file pass the .exe parameters to
install the packages that are packed inside of the MSI.

This can be helpful for organizations that use QGIS and need to deploy a
lot of installations with the same packages. In my case, my company ask me
if is possible to have an MSI file because of Microsoft System Center
Configuration Manager (SCCM) installation that they have.

I read some documentation of Wix toolset and I interpreted that this can be
done with custom actions, this is possible? And how can I pack an MSI
installer using only the folder with the packages and .exe file?

Please correct me if I'm saying something wrong

One of my goals at the end of this process is to share this configuration
with the QGIS project to help others that need this type of configuration.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,
João Gaspar