[wix-users] Remove cached ExePackage?

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Fri Jan 17 09:53:52 PST 2020

Why did you Permanent=Y?

Have you looked at relatedbundle/@Action=addOn?

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Mackey via wix-users
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:12 PM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Cc: Kevin Mackey <kmackey at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Remove cached ExePackage?

My bundle has an ExePackage for an installer (MSI wrapped in a simple custom bootstrapper) that runs optionally when the user clicks a checkbox in the bundle UI. I cache that optional installer so that the user can run the optional installer later by modifying the bundle, and click the checkbox for the optional installer. Once the bundle runs the installer, the bundle no longer interacts with that installer (doesn't repair, uninstall, etc.). Instead, that product is shown in Apps & Features, so the user can repair or uninstall that product. Here are the main (I think) ExePackage settings:

           Cache="always"
           PerMachine="yes"
           Permanent="yes"

The problem I'm having is that the cached optional installer is being left behind if the bundle is uninstalled before the optional product is uninstalled (cached installer is removed if optional product is uninstalled before the bundle is uninstalled). I can't see any way to do this with the standard bundle and ExePackage settings. I think I've tried all the combinations!

I realize this is a special case for an ExePackage in the bundle, but it seems there should be a way to tell the bundle to remove the cached installer when uninstalling the bundle.

--Kevin