[wix-users] Bundle is uninstalling a component I commented out

Sean Brockway Sean.Brockway at ncm.com
Thu Jan 16 13:33:01 PST 2020

Group,
I have a bundle installer that pulls in a couple of MSIs from a suite of tools into a single installer. One of the tools was having a problem so I pulled it out by commenting out the associated <MsiPackage ... /> expecting the existing version of the tool on the machine to be retained as I upgraded (not install the new one with a bug).
However, when I ran the bundle installer, it uninstalled the tool that I commented out.

Is there a way I can retain the old version of a tool (not uninstall it) when upgrading via the installer?  Until I figure out the problem in that tool.

<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi" xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension">
       <Bundle Name="..."
                     Version="1.0.0.0"
                     Manufacturer="..."
                     UpgradeCode="...">
              <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.HyperlinkLicense">
                     <bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication
                           LicenseUrl=""
                           xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/BalExtension" />
              </BootstrapperApplicationRef>
              <Chain>
                     <MsiPackage Id="TAC"
                                  SourceFile="Installers\InstallTAC.msi"
                                  Visible="yes" />
              </Chain>
       </Bundle>
</Wix>

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by phone or return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. The sender makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free. In order to unsubscribe from future commercial communications from NCM, please forward this message with your unsubscribe request to: unsubscribe @ ncm.com or write us at: NCM, Attn: Customer Service, 6300 S Syracuse Way, Suite 300, Centennial, CO 80111. Thank you.