[wix-users] Can we reset NeverOverwrite setting in a Patch.msp

Mouni K mouni.c2cbit at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 06:12:51 PST 2020

Hi WiX Users,

Below is my question-

We have certain web and app.config files which are set as
NeverOverwrite='yes' in the Major Release say 17.0 MSI1 (Setup.msi), so
that they wont be overwritten during subsequent maintenance patches.

*<Component Id="ServiceConfig" Guid="xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxx-xxxxxxx"
NeverOverwrite="yes">            <File
Name="Dom.Common.Attributes.dll.config" Id="fileB12346799C67BADJB3456VT688"
KeyPath="yes" />*

Now we have a change in those config files which need to be delivered in a
Patch.msp.
If we build a maintenance MSI2 (which has our latest changes to the config
files) by setting the above component NeverOverwrite='no',will the diff
Patch.msp generated out of MSI1 and MSI2 install/overwrite the older config
files with the latest ones?

Or should this only be done by a Major Upgrade MSI?

Thanks,
Mounika.