[wix-users] Transform XmlFile incorrectly uses default property values when using Change option

Marcin Nowak malcinn at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 12:47:54 PST 2020

Hello,

I'm struggling with XmlFile transform when using *Change *installer
option. I created a setup with two optional product features, where each
feature has an in-setup configuration that uses XmlFile to transform.
Everything works correctly both for the first feature and a second for a
normal installation.

However, when a user modifies installed application, for example when he
wants to install additional feature, then transform for that feature
always run with default property values - it doesn't respect property
change from Control text.

Initially, I believed this is a bug and I create bug at github
https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/6126 (sorry guys) but its
get closed - so I suppose I'm using WIX wrongly here. However I checked
verbose logs and in my opinion, XmlFile still doesn't use correct
property value. Logline with property changed:

MSI (c) (50:A0) [21:11:22:237]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying
COMPONENT2_SETTING property. Its current value is 'valueFromTransform'.
Its new value: 'NOWTHISCOMPONENTSHOULDCHANGE'.

Happened many lines before XmlFile action itself, so I think "XmlFile
just uses whatever values are set at the time" don't occurs in this case.

To clarify what is my problem I created minimal problem reproduction
project:

https://gitlab.com/malcin/wix-transform/

And I record video with behaviour or upper installer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G69o8Wcoxag

Any tip/idea of how to make installer works in the way I expected?

Best regards,

Marcin Nowak