[wix-users] How WixTools manage the upgrades?

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Mon Aug 17 11:25:19 PDT 2020

Wi generally stands for Windows Installer aka Microsoft Installer / .MSI, a Platform service/SDK on the Windows platform.  WiX stands for Windows Installer XML.  A way of authoring MSI databases for installation by the Windows Installer service.

WiX basically is an XML/XSD based Domain Specific Language (DSL) that is used to describe an MSI database.  It is compiled and then linked into an .MSI database.

Other then say a bootstrapper (.exe) which can be used to chain multiple .exe and .msi installers together and some prebuilt custom actions created by WiX that add functionality to MSI,  WiX doesn't "install" anything.  Windows Installer installs the MSI generated by WiX.

See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/windows-installer-portal

I am a Windows Installer, Windows Installer XML, InstallShield, C#, .NET and Azure DevOps consultant.  Free one hour orientation and mentoring virtual sessions are available for those that need assistance.