[wix-users] How WixTools manage the upgrades?

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:57:57 PDT 2020

Do you mean WiX Toolset when you say WixTools? If yes, then you are
probably really asking how does the Windows Installer support upgrades? The
WiX Toolset is a collection of tools for authoring Windows Installer
packages.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/patching-and-upgrades

You'll see the answer is "it depends on how you author your MSI package". I
understand that answer isn't very satisfying but it is a correct answer.

I author my MSI packages to "uninstall the old version and install the new
version" by using a Major Upgrade and schedule RemoveExistingProducts early.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Sun, Aug 16, 2020, 16:10 Davide Perini via wix-users <