[wix-users] Patch Rollback Problems

Todd Hoatson todd.hoatson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 11:35:29 PDT 2020

We have a product which has been around for years, and we are now on
version 9.0 (about to update to 9.1).

While testing the installation of 9.1, we came across some odd behavior,
and I have now confirmed that it was also present in 9.0:

I install the 9.0.103.1 base installer - OK
I update to the 9.0.103.19 patch - OK
I rollback* the patch to return to 9.0.103.1 - OK
I attempt to update again to 9.0.103.19 - FAIL

* Note:  for Patch rollback, I used Windows Settings > Control Panel >
Programs & Features > Installed Updates.

It looks like the second update succeeds, but after that, the version that
displays when I run the program is 9.0.103.1, even though Patch 9.0.103.19
is displayed in the Installed Updates list.  Also, after that second
update, I can no longer successfully uninstall the product (the entry is
removed from Apps and Features, but the icon is still on the desktop and
clicking it still opens the program, because nothing has been removed from
Program Files).  I was forced to use another tool (Revo Uninstaller) to
actually remove it from my system.

For both updates, as well as the rollback, when I watch carefully, on the
User Account Control dialog I see:  "9.0.103.1_Installer.msi".  Is this
how patches are supposed to work?

It seems like I read something in this mailing list a while back about
Installed Updates not being reliable, but now I can't find that...  Is that
true?

thanks,
Todd Hoatson
Mobile: 763-291-3312