[wix-users] How do I create an x64 Platform for a WIX installer project in Visual Studio?

William Charlton william.s.charlton at outlook.com
Thu Oct 31 04:41:11 PDT 2019

I'm developing a Microsoft Word VSTO solution on a Win 10 64-bit machine that has Office 64-bit. My solution contains a project for the VSTO addin and a WIX installer project

Even though I specify HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\Word\AddIns\FooAddIn as the target for reg entries (see in the attached WIX config file), when I build a release version of the MSI and run the MSI on my target machine (a production Win 10 64-bit box that has Office 64-bit), the reg entries appear under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\FooAddIn (the location for Office 32 bit)) instead of HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\FooAddIn as needed for Office 64 bit (see reference below). As a result,the addin doesn't load when I bring up Word. Note: When I manually create the reg entries under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Word\Addins\FooAddIn, the add-in loads as expected

I think the problem is that the WIX installer project is being built as x86 and not x64. In Visual Studio, when I bring up the Build->Config Manager dialog, The "Active Solution Configuration is set to "Release" and the "Active solution platform" is set to "Any CPU". Under "Project contexts", the WIX installer project's Platform Column is set to the one and only choice: x86. When I click on the down arrow next to x86, I do see a <New> option, but I don't have a clue as to how to create a new x64 platform for the WIX installer project

How do I create an x64 Platform for the WIX installer project in Visuial Studio?

Reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2778964/addins-for-office-programs-may-be-registered-under-the-wow6432node