[wix-users] update Registry Key when user reruns the setup and clicks on change/reinstall button

Aparna Dalvi apa9rna at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 23:16:28 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I have a feature as shown below.

   <Feature Id="F_PRODUCT_INSTALLROOT"

              Title="!(loc.F_ProductSetup.Title)"

              Level="1"

              TypicalDefault="install"

              Description="!(loc.F_ProductSetup.Description)"

              AllowAdvertise="no"

              Absent="disallow">

      <ComponentGroupRef Id="cgrp_Registry_Build_CurrentVersion"/>

      <ComponentGroupRef Id="cgrp_Registry_SetupSettings"/>

    </Feature>

All component groups are writing into registry. In first installation
setups writes in registry as expected. When user rerun the same setup and
click on change, he must be able to change the registry values.

 But this is not working . I see property values updated to new one but the
feature is not getting install and registry settings are not updated. here
is the log:

*MSI (s) (D4:24) [11:36:46:311]: Feature: F_PRODUCT_INSTALLROOT; Installed:
Local; Request: Null; Action: Null*

Here is the registry group I am trying to update on change/reinstall

    <ComponentGroup Id=" cgrp_Registry_SetupSettings" Directory="
DIR_COMMON_DEFAULT_PITWEBPUBROOT">

      <Component Id="cmp_Registry_SetupSettings_PCS" Guid="
$(var.guid_cmp_Registry_SetupSettings_PCS)" Win64="yes" Transitive="yes">

        <RegistryKey Root='HKLM' Key='
SOFTWARE\$(var.ProductSetupFullRegRoot)' ForceCreateOnInstall='yes'
ForceDeleteOnUninstall='no'>

          <RegistryValue Name='[xyz]' Value='[xyz]' Type='string' />

        </RegistryKey>

      </Component>

    </ComponentGroup>

I have already search (google and wix users mail archive) but could not
find any working solution.

I really appreciate if somebody can help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks,

Apps