[wix-users] Trying to troubleshoot a problematic MSI

Hoover, Jacob Jacob.Hoover at greenheck.com
Tue Nov 12 22:14:32 PST 2019

Try changing your Feature's level to 1.

Level="1"

https://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/xsd/wix/feature.html

A value of 0 will disable the feature.

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users [mailto:wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org] On Behalf Of Raoul Snyman via wix-users
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2019 10:57 PM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Cc: Raoul Snyman <raoul at snyman.info>
Subject: [wix-users] Trying to troubleshoot a problematic MSI

Hi,

I'm relatively new to WiX, and I'm trying to build an MSI for my open source project.

The problem I'm experiencing is that while I successfully build an MSI file, and it starts up and seems to run without errors (it even tells me it completed successfully), but nothing is installed.

I've used Orca to inspect the MSI file and I've run the validation, and it only picks up a couple of warnings about some font files that I've bundled, but no errors. I also generated a log file while running the installer, but I can't seem to see any errors in the log file. Are there any other ways I can troubleshoot my MSI file?

For those who are interested, here are my WXS, MSI and the log file:

https://get.openlp.org/msi/OpenLP.wxs
https://get.openlp.org/msi/OpenLP-2.5.dev2877%2B3d1af4082-x64.msi
https://get.openlp.org/msi/install.log

FYI: The WXS file is currently geared toward a 64-bit install, but we will also be releasing a 32-bit installer once I can get this to work.

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips!

P.S. I'm actually a Linux guy, so this is somewhat outside of my realm of knowledge :-)

--
Raoul Snyman
raoul at snyman.info