[wix-users] Trying to troubleshoot a problematic MSI

Raoul Snyman raoul at snyman.info
Tue Nov 12 20:57:25 PST 2019

Hi,

I'm relatively new to WiX, and I'm trying to build an MSI for my open
source project.

The problem I'm experiencing is that while I successfully build an MSI
file, and it starts up and seems to run without errors (it even tells me
it completed successfully), but nothing is installed.

I've used Orca to inspect the MSI file and I've run the validation, and
it only picks up a couple of warnings about some font files that I've
bundled, but no errors. I also generated a log file while running the
installer, but I can't seem to see any errors in the log file. Are there
any other ways I can troubleshoot my MSI file?

For those who are interested, here are my WXS, MSI and the log file:

https://get.openlp.org/msi/OpenLP.wxs
https://get.openlp.org/msi/OpenLP-2.5.dev2877%2B3d1af4082-x64.msi
https://get.openlp.org/msi/install.log

FYI: The WXS file is currently geared toward a 64-bit install, but we
will also be releasing a 32-bit installer once I can get this to work.

Thanks in advance for any hints or tips!

P.S. I'm actually a Linux guy, so this is somewhat outside of my realm
of knowledge :-)

--
Raoul Snyman
raoul at snyman.info