[wix-users] Show Prerequisites List in a Dialog

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Mon May 13 08:00:00 PDT 2019

You could try using various searches to check for the existence of various
prerequisites. Those searches will set properties when they are found.
Instead of using a Condition element per prerequisite, you might use
instead a single Condition that checks that all prerequisites are met. The
message for that Condition may need to have a list of prerequisites that
are not met so you may need to conditionally set one or more properties to
achieve a message that shows all unmet prerequisites.

I think the difficulty with something like this is that you will likely not
have any formatting control in how your message is displayed so it may not
be user friendly. Perhaps you could minimize your use of custom actions to
ones that allow you to present the missing prerequisites to your user in a
more user friendly fashion. If you're using custom dialog to show the
missing prerequisites, then you could use the properties to conditionally
show the missing prerequisites on that dialog.

The key is likely to have a single property per prerequisite that indicates
the prerequisite exists and one property that indicates that all
prerequisites are met. Once you have those you can probably use that
information to build messages conditionally and/or show text conditionally
on a custom dialog.

You'll need a custom action to write the missing prerequisites to a file
any way. If you have constructed a message with only the missing
prerequisites for your single Condition element then that information will
be written to your msi log automatically but if you need to write the
information to another file because you cannot guarantee that the msi log
is getting created then you'll need to write a custom action to do that.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Mon, May 13, 2019 at 4:41 AM Ven H via wix-users <