[wix-users] Wix managed custom action DLL is not working in deployable system

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Wed May 8 08:33:29 PDT 2019

This certainly smells like a dependency problem.

I don't have experience with *managed* C++ custom actions so I'm going to
miss something here or there, but for native C++ custom actions you really
want to statically link all your dependencies to avoid this problem. The
difficulty with dependencies is that the Windows Installer will *only*
extract the binary associated with the custom action DLL. This means that
any dependencies *must* be "installed" prior to custom action use. If your
dependency is used only in your custom action, then you are installing code
that is only used during setup.

I vaguely remember there being a way to document which dependencies are
required for managed custom actions so that they can be packaged and
automatically extracted and used during setup *but* I don't know how to do
this. Perhaps I'm just imaging this and there really is no way to do this.

If you are already writing your custom action in C++ then is it possible to
make it a native C++ custom action and statically link all your
dependencies?

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 4:31 AM Sebastian, ChinchuX via wix-users <