[wix-users] Bundle cache location & self-update

Jacques Eloff repstosd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 13:26:31 PDT 2019

Hi

>From what I can tell, the cache location of the bundle seems to be
%ProgramData%\Package Cache\{GUID} where GUID appears to be
WixBundleProperties/@Id

I have a shortcut that launches the bundle using the aforementioned path
and pass additional arguments to my bundle.

However, if the bundle leverages the app syndication update mechanism and
is auto-updated, Burn will download the new bundle, close the old running
copy and restart the new copy.

Since there's no guarantee the user will complete an action (Install,
Modify, etc.) when the updated copy is launched, is it ok to update the
shortcut at the end of DetectComplete? This would ensure it launches the
new bundle the next time the user runs from the shortcut.

Normally I'd create/update the shortcut at the end of ApplyComplete, but
that won't fire if the user exits. It's simple enough to compare the bundle
registration code of the old and currently executing bundle to figure out
whether I'm in this state. Unless there's a better way to determine this.
AFAIK, there's nothing to tell me that the bundle was launched as the
result of an update operation.

The only alternative I think is to keep launching the old version using the
shortcut, have it auto update and continue to do this until the user
completes an operation that results in Engine.Apply being called and then
update the shortcut.

Thanks,
Jacques