[wix-users] Common installer for x64 and x86

Edwin Castro egcastr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 00:32:38 PDT 2019

To be fair, this is an approach to use one single source project to
generate multiple MSI (one 32-bit and the other 64-bit). I think the
question was can you have a single MSI instead.

If your application is 32-bit and doesn't need to be 64-bit at all, then
you can just use a 32-bit MSI to install that application since 64-bit OS
will run 32-bit applications. If you need to install a 32-bit application
on a 32-bit OS and a 64-bit application on a 64-bit OS then you will need
two MSI and should consider one bundle to decide which MSI to install as
previously mentioned by others. You can definitely use one source project
to create both 32-bit and 64-bit MSI using the approach demonstrated by
Adnan. Of course, that's most useful if the application installs
essentially the same otherwise you may have enough differences that
separate projects may be a better approach.

Note that a 64-bit MSI can install both 32-bit and 64-bit components but a
32-bit MSI can only install 32-bit components. You can install both 64-bit
and 32-bit MSI on a 64-bit OS but can only install 32-bit MSI on 32-bit OS.

--
Edwin G. Castro

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:31 PM Adnan Shaheen via wix-users <