[wix-users] Common installer for x64 and x86

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Wed Jul 3 10:33:52 PDT 2019

In my experience, if the application is .NET based you can simply compile it for Any CPU and treat it as an x86 32bit MSI.  It'll actually run as a 64bit process.

If it's native with say COM registration then it's best to make a 32bit and 64bit MSI.  It might also be possible to only support 64bit depending on your user base.   I do software development in a large corporate office  and none of  our servers have been 32bit for about 5-6 years now and  the same goes for workstations for the past 2 years.

I do know hacks to get a 32bit MSI  to install files to 64bit locations but it's utility is quiet limited and is totally unsupported.