[wix-users] FW: Localizing Tooltip

Deepak Gupta Deepak.Gupta at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 3 10:31:19 PDT 2019

Hi,

I am trying to define ToolTip property for one of the Control on WiX GUI considering localization. I have following in my GUI.wix.

<Control Id="Up" Type="PushButton" X="310" Y="66" Width="19" Height="19" Help="Up One Level|" Icon="yes" FixedSize="yes" IconSize="16" Text="DirUpArrow" ToolTip="Up one level">

In my project localization approach is to use properties, we define properties in a separate LOCAL.wix file as following

<Property Id="BrowseToDest_Text">Browse to the destination folder.</Property>

And use property in GUI.wix as

<Text> [BrowseToDest_Text]</Text>

"Property" get localized in my project. Also we have only one installer for all the languages, NO separate MSI for each language.

I see that ToolTip attribute cannot use property and correct way suggested by WIX, for localization is to use "!(loc.WixLocalizationVariable)" for localizable fields.

My Question is:

  1.  Is above WIX localization approach is separate MSI for each language or just one MSI which will change GUI based on OS local?
  2.  Is there any way to use property in tooltip in any WIX version?

This is a follow up email of issue raised here https://github.com/wixtoolset/issues/issues/5957

Thanks
Deepak