[wix-users] WIx Toolset documentation

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Tue Jan 29 09:41:22 PST 2019

Depends on which source API you are looking at.

For WXS (XML) the contents of the WiX.chm for the latest released 3.x version are found in wixtoolset.org.

For creating Bootstrapper Applications (or customizing the standard BA), all that is available is at that same place.

For creating a WiX toolset extension all that's really documented so far is at that same place. The types of extensions (multiple types can be, and often are, included in a single binary) are listed on this page: http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/wixdev/extensions/extensions.html but actually creating them requires looking at extensions in the sources.

For managed code CAs I haven't found the contents of DTF.chm online anywhere.

For C++ CAs that wish to use the same libraries WiX uses (it facilitates safer and more robust coding practices) all the documentation available today I am aware of is found in the source code.

Just like most OSS projects, documentation is one of those very important tasks we always want more help with. Contributions are always welcome.