[wix-users] Problem with Patch Bundles - Major Update bundle searches for the Patch Bundles from the previous version

Daniel Frenz dfz at mm-software.com
Tue Jan 22 05:54:21 PST 2019

Hi,

I am building a WiX Bundle that should support Major Updates as well as Patches. I have now run into a problem: When I install a “Major Upgrade” bundle over a bundle that was patched via patch bundles (Bundles with .msp’s), the “Major Upgrade” bundle is looking to install the patch bundles again, and fails.

I guess this is caused by the “RelatedBundle” tag in the patch definition. But how can I prevent this?

This is my patch bundle definition:

<Bundle Name="$(var.ProductName) Patch"

          Version="$(var.Version)"

          Manufacturer="$(var.Manufacturer)"

          ParentName="$(var.ProductName)"

          UpgradeCode="27ca139e-e8f9-4cd4-9baf-3e328a9962de">

    <BootstrapperApplicationRef Id="WixStandardBootstrapperApplication.RtfLicense" />

    <OptionalUpdateRegistration Classification="Update"/>

    <RelatedBundle Id="$(var.BundleUpgradeCode)" Action="Patch"/>

             <Chain>

                    <MspPackage SourceFile="$(var.SolutionDir)..\Setup\Patch Files\Output\MyPatch.msp" />

              </Chain>

       </Bundle>

</Wix>

The patch bundle has its own upgradecode while referencing the main bundle via the “RelatedBundle” tag.

I have tried giving the “Major Upgrade” bundle the same or another bundle upgradecode (with “RelatedBundle” to the old bundle), but both times I run into the problem.

Any hints about what I am doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
Daniel Frenz | Dipl.-Inform. | Senior Software Developer

M&M Software GmbH | Hollerithallee 17 | 30419 Hannover​ | GERMANY
Phone +49 511 999 93-092 | Fax +49 511 999984-29 | dfz at mm-software.com<mailto:dfz at mm-software.com> |
Skype daniel_frenz<skype:daniel_frenz?chat> | myXING<https://www.xing.com/profile/Daniel_Frenz>

M&M Website<http://www.mm-software.com> | M&M Newsletter<http://www.mm-software.com/newsletter/subscribe> | XING<http://www.xing.com/companies/m&msoftwaregmbh> | LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/m&m-software-gmbh> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/mmsoftware.gmbh> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/user/mmsoftwaregmbh> | Kununu<http://www.kununu.com/de/all/de/it/mm-software>

We invite you:
Microsoft Industry Day<https://mm-software.com/de/events/microsoft-industry-40-day> | 28. Februar 2019 | München, DE
M&M Academy<https://mm-software.com/de/events/mm-academy> | 12. Februar 2019 | Hannover, DE
E-world 2019<https://mm-software.com/de/events/e-world-2019> | 5. bis 7. Februar 2019 | Essen, DE

Registered Office: St. Georgen, Germany - Registry Court: Freiburg HRB 602021 - Directors: Andreas Börngen, Klaus Hübschle
This email is intended solely for the use of the named address(es). Any unauthorized disclosure, copying or distribution of these confidential information contained therein, or the taking of any action based on it, is prohibited.