[wix-users] Documentation for torch and pyro?

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Fri Feb 8 10:22:18 PST 2019

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Edwin Castro via wix-users
Sent: Friday, February 8, 2019 9:36 AM
To: WiX Toolset Users Mailing List <wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org>
Cc: Edwin Castro <egcastr at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [wix-users] Documentation for torch and pyro?

<rant>
"Selling" a patch to a customer should *never* *ever* be easier than a major upgrade. When you service applications through patches you always (this is guaranteed!!) end up with untested combinations of software at the customer site. Do customers really want to be the first place where software is tested? Most certainly not! But we, as a software developers, have not educated them well enough to understand that they are better off with software that has been fully tested rather than software that "should work but we don't really know because you, the customer, may have some odd combination of patches that may or may not have been tested together because it is nearly impossible to test all the possible combinations!" And let's be honest, while customers can be difficult in this regard, our own managers and executives can be worse. We need to educate them all that patches are bad for quality and reliability and should only be used when your product is **sooo** large that always delivering major upgrades is untenable. *BUT* in that case, you are making a conscious decision to support patches and it is your responsibility to test as many of those possible combinations as possible. Don't let your customer tell you they prefer patches because that just means they don't know what they are getting.
</rant>

--
Edwin G. Castro