[wix-users] wix same version updates of package creates Duplicate Control Panel entries

Blair Murri osito at live.com
Fri Feb 8 05:49:25 PST 2019

If you look in your MSI with Orca (or any other MSI inspection/editing tool) you should see UnregisterProduct, but it only runs when REMOVE=ALL, which happens when RemoveExistingProducts runs in the launched MSI (in your scenario).

Same version upgrades has always been a bit unreliable due to some weird edge cases in the way Windows Installer processes the Upgrade table (scheduling RemoveExistingProducts has no bearing on this issue). Those edge cases appear to now be baked in, as they have been there for over 20 years.

The general use case for upgrades of any kind involves a changed ProductVersion (within the significant parts) for MSI.

To see what exactly is happening, check your verbose logs around the FindRelatedProducts action (where the properties specified in the Upgrade table are set)