[wix-users] File Path Issue in Light Command

Ven H venh.123 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 02:11:05 PST 2019

I have a WiX Setup Project in Visual Studio. It has a folder called
Content. This folder has all the WXS files, including the Product,
LicenseAgreement etc. It also has the License.rtf file. The
LicenseAgreement.wxs has a reference to License.rtf. Even though both are
inside Content folder, Visual Studio throws error (in light command) if I
don't give the path to License.rtf as Content\License.rtf. I am not able to
understand this.

If I run it directly (not from Visual Studio) using WiX Commands like
Candle, Light etc, it works if the path is simply "License.rtf" and not
"Content\License.rtf". This is weird.

In short, LicenseAgreement.wxs is inside Content folder and so is
License.rtf.

But for this to work from Visual Studio, I need to specify
"Content\License.rtf" as path in LicenseAgreement.wxs

But using direct WiX command, I need to specify "License.rtf" as path in
LicenseAgreement.wxs.

Can anyone please help me with this?