[wix-users] Resuming the installation after reboot (wix v3.11.1)

Rob Mensching rob at firegiant.com
Mon Aug 12 16:53:55 PDT 2019

See ForceReboot: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/forcereboot-action

Compare to ScheduleReboot: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/schedulereboot-action

From: wix-users <wix-users-bounces at lists.wixtoolset.org> On Behalf Of Fahrettin ÖZTÜRK via wix-users
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 4:49 PM
To: wix-users at lists.wixtoolset.org
Cc: Fahrettin ÖZTÜRK <fahrettin.tc at gmail.com>
Subject: [wix-users] Resuming the installation after reboot (wix v3.11.1)

Hello,

I am using Wix to install several packages in one MSI installation. At one point of the installation, I install a device driver which requires a windows reboot. The problem is I can't continue installation after a proper reboot.

I have several custom actions which executes one by one in the <InstallExecutionSequence> tag.

I can put a <ScheduleReboot> step right after the installation of the device driver, and the msi asks the user to restart the machine to be able to continue the installation. However, after the reboot, there are two issues to be resolved.

1- Automatically resume installation without any manual action by the user.
2- When I double click the msi and then start installation again assuming that this action is taken by the windows, the installation doesn't continue in the proper order.  It acts like the whole package has installed even though I've rebooted in the middle of the process.

Please take a look at my <InstallExecutionSequence> below to understand better;

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="OpenFiles" After="InstallFinalize">Not Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallDeviceDriver" After="OpenFiles">Not Uninstalled</Custom>
      <ScheduleReboot
Before="InstallDeviceDriver">RESTART_REQUIRED="YES"</ScheduleReboot>
      <Custom Action="InstallDeviceDriver"
After="UninstallDeviceDriver">((Not Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UpdateDevice" After="InstallDeviceDriver">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="InstallMainProgram" After="UpdateDevice">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CopyCustomFiles" After="InstallMainProgram">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UpdateForms" After="CopyCustomFiles">((Not Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallTCFiles"
After="InstallInitialize">REMOVE="ALL"</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

Could you please advice how I can solve my issue?

Thanks in advance

--
Fahrettin Ozturk