[wix-users] Resuming the installation after reboot (wix v3.11.1)

Fahrettin ÖZTÜRK fahrettin.tc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 16:49:10 PDT 2019

Hello,

I am using Wix to install several packages in one MSI installation. At one
point of the installation, I install a device driver which requires a
windows reboot. The problem is I can't continue installation after a proper
reboot.

I have several custom actions which executes one by one in the
<InstallExecutionSequence> tag.

I can put a <ScheduleReboot> step right after the installation of the
device driver, and the msi asks the user to restart the machine to be able
to continue the installation. However, after the reboot, there are two
issues to be resolved.

1- Automatically resume installation without any manual action by the user.
2- When I double click the msi and then start installation again assuming
that this action is taken by the windows, the installation doesn't continue
in the proper order.  It acts like the whole package has installed even
though I've rebooted in the middle of the process.

Please take a look at my <InstallExecutionSequence> below to understand
better;

<InstallExecuteSequence>
      <Custom Action="OpenFiles" After="InstallFinalize">Not
Installed</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallDeviceDriver" After="OpenFiles">Not
Uninstalled</Custom>
      <ScheduleReboot
Before="InstallDeviceDriver">RESTART_REQUIRED="YES"</ScheduleReboot>
      <Custom Action="InstallDeviceDriver"
After="UninstallDeviceDriver">((Not Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO"))
OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UpdateDevice" After="InstallDeviceDriver">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="InstallMainProgram" After="UpdateDevice">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="CopyCustomFiles" After="InstallMainProgram">((Not
Installed) AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UpdateForms" After="CopyCustomFiles">((Not Installed)
AND (RESTART_REQUIRED="NO")) OR AFTERREBOOT</Custom>
      <Custom Action="UninstallTCFiles"
After="InstallInitialize">REMOVE="ALL"</Custom>
    </InstallExecuteSequence>

Could you please advice how I can solve my issue?

Thanks in advance

--
Fahrettin Ozturk