[wix-users] Chain/@ParallelCache - BootstrapperApplication property

Jacques Eloff repstosd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 23:16:50 PDT 2019

Hi

Is the information defined in BundleChainAttributes (WiX compiler) exposed
anywhere in BootstrapperApplication? I can't find anything in the
Engine/Bootstrapper classes and looking through Burn, it appears to
retrieve this information by reading the manifest.xml and then setting a
ParallelCacheAndExecute property. Is this the preferred approach? I can
parse the manifest just like I do with BootstrapperApplicationData.xml.

Reason I'm looking for this is to figure out whether I should have one or
two progress bars. I figured if ParallelCache="yes", then
CacheAcquireProgress and ExecuteProgress events will be interleaved.

Somewhat related...the doc comments for ParallelCache states that it won't
execute until a rollback boundary is reached. If there are no rollback
boundaries defined, does that equate to setting ParallelCache="no" or would
the engine instead alternate between acquiring and executing packages.

Thanks,
Jacques