[wix-users] Can this be recovered?

Rick Murphy k1mu.nospam at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 11:50:33 PDT 2019

I build and distribute a multi-platform app, and use WiX to build the
installer for Windows. This has worked great for years and several releases.
I use an UpgradeCode and the MajorUpgrade element to allow new releases to
automatically uninstall older versions of the package, and again this has
worked as expected.
Then, for a new release, due to an overzealous editing error, I changed two
things in my main wxs file:
1. The UpgradeCode was changed from ...7E33 to ...7E34
2. The Language in the Product element was changed rom "1033" to "1034".

The error was detected when users related errors due to the fact that they
had two versions of the package installed at the same time. Oops.

I've been searching for a way to fix these - specifically to uninstall both
versions of the package with the next update. At the moment, I'm forced to
tell the affected users to manually uninstall the "wrong" version.

What hope do I have to have this corrected, particularly given the language
code mistake?

Any help you can provide with digging out of this hole would be appreciated.
    -Rick

--
Rick Murphy, CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA