[wix-users] Visual Studio Versions

Christopher Painter chrpai at iswix.com
Mon Sep 10 19:08:12 PDT 2018

I'm curious, are there many people still using Visual Studio 2010 and 2012?  Has everyone moved on to at least 2013?   Does anyone know any published studies on this?

I'm curious because I was recently testing my IsWiX application on VS 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2017 and while it still works as designed on 2010 and 2012 it doesn't have the new features that were possible starting with 2013 and I'm not really happy with the incomplete story on 2010 and 2012.

Part of me wants to rip out the 2010 and 2012 support and move forward and part of me thinks that I should just leave it be and let people use it on those platforms if they still are.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on this?

**The feature gap is multi-project solutions templates that can create several projects all at once and wire up all the references automatically.  Prior to this you had to create  the projects individually and add all the references.  Something that would lower adoption rate.